Friday, December 02, 2005

Dead Celebrity Auctions

I understand the whole idea behind owning a piece of history or something treasured by one's idol. Personally I think it would be pretty neat to own a book signed by Jackie Kennedy. But for me it goes beyond the pale when you want to purchase someone's toliet.

It seems that Jerry Garcia's dishwasher, toliet and other appliances will be auctioned off by a non-profit group named the Sophia Foundation. While I commend the families of many celebrities who auction off items for charity, it just seems odd to me that someone would actually want Jerry Garcia's toliet or even his dishwasher. I mean really are you going to use those things? Or would you build a shrine with pictures, autographs and other memorabilia surrounding that toliet to comemorate your most favored hero? I suppose having any piece of Jerry will do for some folks.

11 comments:

Sonya said...

So would they just have the toilet for display or would they hook it up and use it so they could say their naked butt has been where his naked butt has been?

*gross*

*head tilts*

Anonymous said...

You make a great point. The stuff being put up for auction lately is getting really disgusting. Recently, Britney Spears put up her old pair of worn flip-flops on eBay to raise money for Katrina Relief. I realize the cause is completely worthy. And, she did put up some other nicer things. But, what does it say about the rest of the country/world that would buy people's used flip-flops, toilets, and/or chewing gum. Very weird. Have a great day. :)

Emily RugBurn said...

This reminds me of the Abba “souvenir” in The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert. (Great movie if you haven’t seen it.) Yeah sure, I’m obsessed with a rock star or two, but I draw the line at any fecal-related keepsakes. That’s just me though.

~ EmRB

arkie said...

I know that they do these auctions for a great cause, and all that, but I seriously don't get why anyone would want some of that stuff. I can't think of any celebrity that I admire/love/stalk so much, that I want some cast-off belonging of theirs.

I'm picturing the toilet with a sign over it. "Jerry Garcia shat here"

The Zombieslayer said...

Randy Rhoads or Yngwie Malmsteen's guitars. Rhoads got the most beautiful sounds. Yngwie has the best scalloped fretboards.

Foxy said...

i would need solid proof that it belonged to that individual...somehow i find those things to be BS...no proof needed for the toilet though! lol

Bill said...

Dunno Jen... I'm with you on this one.... a sign guitar, the signed jersey of an a athlete, a signed football, basketball, baseball etc... Those tings I understand (although I wouldn't want any of them myself)....

I don't want *my* old toilet... let alone someone elses!

mikster said...

Yeah....not something I'd be interested in either...lol

Mike Todd said...

All things being equal, I'd rather have Elvis' toilet.

Scott said...

Deadheads are a different species Jen, but amazing you have them figured out. Did you have some cultural anthropology in college? Deadheads live in the back of Volkswagon vans built up to double heighth, and are lucky if they have running water at all, much less a functioning toilet or dishwasher, so Jerry's appliances represent a step up, perhaps the first on the road to recovery. A shrine is exactly what will be built. And all their dead-friends will be envious and will travel cross-country just to throw up in Jerry's toilet.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »