Tuesday, May 23, 2006

This day sucks!

I am just full of good news these days....never anything good to post it seems.

Due to economic reasons corporate has pulled the plug on expansion in our area, hence my job has been eliminated. Yes the job that I have probably waited years to have. My last day is June 2 if I so choose, which I have. I don't like to burn bridges and there is a chance that the market could turn around over the next year or so and they will hire be back. I am at the top of my boss' list and he is pretty torn up about having to lay me off. It seems he jumped the gun hiring me because he did not want to lose me to another company. So I will have a good reference from here and a decent explanation as to my employment time frame.

I really hate to be in this position again and feeling pretty lousy about everything. So it seems that I will be returning to the legal field, sucking things up for the family benefit. I will have to attempt a serious attitude adjustment regarding my feelings on working for attorneys again. (No offense to those blogging/online buddies that are in the legal field)

Maybe I will cash in the 401K and go back to school, become a teacher, stay home with kiddos, do something different!! Money really does make the world go around!

4 comments:

The Zombieslayer said...

Ouch. I feel for you. My job got sent to India and we've never recovered. It's been four years almost since then too.

Teaching is good. It's secure, something that most professions can't say. The other thing that is secure is nursing. If it weren't for the fact that I don't like to see people bleed, I would have been a male nurse. I saw the future in it, and it's only getting better once those baby boomers start retiring.

Save your 401k if possible. Those, you want to invest long-term and the longer you have it, the more money you'll make. Take out loans if you want to go back to school. Loan interest is tax deductable forever because they're trying to encourage more people to go to college. Plus, lenders don't hold student loans against you for they know some people who have $50-100k in loans often make the big bucks.

Puffy said...

Hmmm, you've got some heavy decisions to make. Hopefully, you can get a new job in this same field. I'll be thinking of you...

Breezy said...

Go back to school, or if you really want to say home with kiddos take courses in medical transcription and work from home.

*hugs*

Also agree with the Slayer, don't cash out your 401k. They have all sorts of free loans and low interest loans for displaced workers now.

Scott said...

I'm sorry to hear that you lost such a dream job Jen. I can't advise you on how to move forward, but follow your heart if that is possible. I know how hard it is when you have a family to raise.