Monday, September 12, 2005

And the hits keep happening

I am usually one that can buck up and keep going. But as the title of this post indicates my family gets hit again. My mom takes care of my 93 year old granny. Granny fell this weekend and broke her pelvis and cut her head open (30 stitches). It happened at 6:30 a.m. while she was getting out of bed. My mom had a hell of time getting her up off the floor and the bleeding stopped.

My mom has a sister that leaves in the same city as me. She has not been down to check on my mom and granny. My frustration is through the roof but my mother has asked me to hold back and just help in getting the arrangements in place for my granny to return to the nursing home here. Granny spent last winter (Sept through April) at this wonderful nursing home but wanted to return home for the summer.

I am having a difficult time dealing with my emotions. That helplessness is creeping back in today, I feel selfish and just want to break down and scream. Or just eat a pint of ice cream. I hate being an adult!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understnd about helplessness. Caring for others and finding them in places that you cannot understand or feel helpless. You can reach out in so many ways to connect to people you care about. A note, a telephone call, a prayer. However how you handle your own emotions and thoughts is something that is harder to balance and manage. As someone gets older they become dependent on those around them, in so many ways our grand parents are heros to us and are so valuable to our happiness. I will think of you during this time.

thephoenixnyc said...

Hang in there Jen. They both need you to be centered, strong and rational.

M

Anonymous said...

Good grief, Jen! You need break from all of this. I completely understand your frustration -- and know that ALL of your emotions are justified. Just try and hang in there. I'm not handling the adult thing very well, but then again, I didn't handle the adolescent thing very well, either. Good luck getting through this.

~ EmRB

Anonymous said...

Just do what your mom says. Get your granny back in the nursing home. A safe place, I imagine. How is mother healing from her hospital visit? Hang in there. I'm sure it is so hard. Thinking of you . . .

Scott said...

My granny keeps falling too, always taking off like a bottle rocket once an idea gets in her head. She refuses to slow down, which is probably why she is living to such an old age. I hear about it all the time, where one sibling is the caregiver while the others slack off. You will be rewarded in many ways that your aunt cannot understand.

Bravie said...

Hang in there and be strong. We're here for you to vent.
*smooch*

Syren said...

I agree with Scott up there. We had help with my granny, but issues arised that had everyone on nails.

Hang in there, be strong, stay centered, and think of how she would like you to handle it.

Vent anytime, sweetie.

MJ said...

Hang in there... *virtual hug*

Jim said...

You can do it!

I'll eat the ice cream.

The Zombieslayer said...

An internet hug sent. :)

Just hang in there and be strong. If you stay strong, people around you will keep their faith. It's the best you can do.

jenbeauty said...

What a wonderful group! Thank you all so much. I am feeling better today. Life moves forward and so will I.

Natalie said...

Your granny needs strong people around her to gain encrouagement. My advice to you: do your best and when you've done your best, go home, scream AND eat ice cream. I highly recommend Ben & Jerry's new Gobfather ice cream. You deserve it.

momma said...

*hugs* to you darlin.

If you need anything, let me know.

Glowie said...

*hugs* hon

Jason said...

My mother-in-law has had similar problems getting help from her sisters for her mom in Holland. They're within a few blocks, but it's the daughter who's thousands of miles away who always takes care of her.