Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Life and Katrina

I have been a blog ho this week. I have visited many blogs and read many different opinions about the Hurricane relief effort. I am saddened and angry about the whole situation and hate the feeling of helplessness that has engulfed my life in the last two weeks. I watched the destruction while sitting next to my mother's hospital bed for four days. I listened to Doctors, Nurses and all other manner of hospital employees despair over the situation in our Gulf region. Collections were being taken up immediately and from my Mom's hospital bed she wrote a check. "We do what we can Jenny and keep moving forward".

Ah she called me "Jenny". That does not happen often, mostly when she is scared, worried or upset. That is my little girl name and it bothered me that my mom was truly scared. So I have bottled up my helplessness, put on the stern face of an adult, and am moving forward. We can't change what happened last week only make things better today and for the future.

Give what support you can and speak out to make things better. We need to be a strong nation, united in how we approach the future. I am impressed and amazed at the outpouring of concern shown in so many blogs. It gives me hope and assured me that I am not helpless, either in my personal life or in my community.

13 comments:

momma said...

Very well said.

Hope your mom is doing better and will recover fully.

Scott said...

It's been overwhelming, hasn't it? My cousin in Houston is involved with her church in collecting things for 180 hurricane victims that are staying at a local Holiday Inn that is putting them up for free. Every little bit helps.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for expressing it all so well. I'm hoping that your mom will be home soon. I was thinking maybe we could get the address of one of the churches so that we could send things on our own. I think that I will contact the Scott above for an address of that church. Have a good day. And, take care. :) Big hugs and smiles to you. :)

Trevor Record said...

Is your mom doing well now? I hope so!

jenbeauty said...

Thanks guys!

Aw Trevor, you are very sweet. Yes she is doing better but it is difficult. She needs to take better care of herself and she is 2 hours from me. It is hard to keep tabs on her.

Bill said...

I too hope your Mom is recovering steadily!! She's certainly a smart woman...

"We do what we can Jenny and keep moving forward"

I don't know where I got my thing about "One day at a time, one foot, in front of the other"... meaning we take things one day a time, and just keep moving forward!!

I like your Mom already!

Beth said...

I love what your mom said to you, Jen! REALLY loved it!

That dude Paul said...

Very well put Jen.
Peace

Bravie said...

Very well said. *smooch*

thephoenixnyc said...

An interesting thing you said, "we need to be a united nation" part of the problem is we have never really been more divided as a nation, making a united response all the more difficult.

jenbeauty said...

That is my point phoenix. We should use this horrible event to attempt to bridge the gap. We have seen horrible things come out of NO. I think we can all agree that it has indeed been horrible. We have seen the ugly side of poverty.

But the reason our nation is so great is we can still debate and agree to disagree. We have to be united in that in order to survive another turbulent time in American history. We must not let the division and "party lines" divide us so we do not function as a democracy any longer.

The Zombieslayer said...

I really hope we address American poverty. I'm in Santa Barbara, CA right now, one of the richest cities in the country, and I keep hearing people say "why didn't they just leave?"

The Zombieslayer said...

By the way, Shawn
has the best response to that question I've ever seen. It's the article entitled "It's called Empathy."