Friday, August 26, 2005

The Chase

I had three girls screaming at me all at once. I yelled at my friends to shut up, buckle up and let me think. I was in fast forward mode and was squealing tires out of the parking lot. My goal was not to get trapped by the four cars that were pursuing us.

"T" was rational enough to make a few suggestions. "Just drive to your house, your mom will take care of it!" Oh yeah, like I am going to let these yahoos know where I live so that I may be tormented forever! "Ok, go to the police station, they won't follow us there!" Alright another brilliant idea! And what will we tell the police??!! Excuse us but we were just in a fight at another high school and now those bad kids are following us. I was not in the mood to get caught, suspended, volleyball career over, and the possible grounding that would come from my parents.

During this sarcasm laded conversation, I am flying through the backroads of small town Ohio just to get to the freeway unscathed. If I could just get someplace I knew, the idiots chasing us would not have a chance. So where does a novice teenage girl like myself decide is her turf? The mall. I know every inch of every street surrounding our local mall. If I was going to lose those turdwhackers I was going to have to drive to someplace I could get to quickly. By this point my speeding is raising the alarm in my two friends in the back seat and they are begging me to just stop or go home. No way, those two idiot girls started us on this path and I was not going to turn back. "T's" response "Alright Mario, but could you please slow down a little!"

During the small town Ohio chase I was able to lose two of the cars following us. I still had two cars hot on my tail and knew I was pushing the limits of how fast I had ever driven, let alone the speed at which I knew the Mustang could go. The mall exist was coming up fast and I had to make an on the spot decision. One of the cars was right behind me and I was in the far left lane, cruising at about 80. Checking my mirrors I decided I could beat the Semitruck in the right lane just in time to hit the exit. I gunned it and made a sweeping move across the lanes and made the off ramp just in time. The car behind me had no choice but to keep on going. That left one car, a Firebird, that was still giving chase. That boy could see what was happening and reacted by hitting the off ramp right behind me.

I was starting to panic thinking I am never going to lose this guy. I decided to turn into the mall parking lot knowing that the mall was closed. If I could get through the lot and hit the other side leading to some neighborhood we could park undetected. No such luck as the Firebird dude was hot on my ass.

I learned from my two cousins that when in a fight or flight situation sometimes turning around and going to the fight might work to your advantage. I had seen them do this while playing chicken on four wheelers. It only took about 5 seconds for me to decide to turn that steering wheel leading me into a 180 towards our pursuer. The Firebird dude never knew what hit him as he attempted to follow suit and crashed into a lamp post.

And that started my career as Mario aka Koko the international race car driver.

22 comments:

Scott said...

Jen, that was sweet! The move off the freeway was brilliant, but the Firebird, that was cool. The driver was well rewarded for being an asshole. Good stuff, I really enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Now, this isn't a movie script?!? Absolutely fantastic! Thank God, you didn't have to find out these people's true intentions. Pretty crazy for high school. Wow. Great post!!

The Zombieslayer said...

Jen - Wonderful story. You need to send this to Robert Rodriguez and have him direct it. ;)

arkie said...

LMAO... Jen that is one of the funniest stories I've ever heard.

jenbeauty said...

*giggles* thanks guys but is was scary as hell!

Zombie: you need to go back and read the other two, Nicknames and Driving and Racing!

Erik Holtan said...

Oh, at first I thought you were talking about yesterday or something! Be careful out there!
Are you gonna be the ones to teach your kids to drive?

Bravie said...

Hah!! Great story. I wish I was there, it sounds fun. *grin*

Beth said...

I'm a super careful driver. I give people like you the finger. LOL!!

Trevor Record said...

Holy shit, you are a badass! That sounds like something out of a movie.

Jason said...

THAT's hot! ;-)

bricotrout said...

thanks, you reminded ME of a story i can tell for my site.
how long ago was this?

HistoryDetective said...

Wow! That was worth the wait.

The Firebird dude never knew what hit him as he attempted to follow suit and crashed into a lamp post.

Can you imagine what he had to tell his parents?!

No such luck as the Firebird dude was hot on my ass.

Must. not. comment.

jenbeauty said...

Scott: Thanks!! You really did inspire me to write this up! I have several other driving stories but don't want to really bore anyone.

Marel: As I said before, I was really terrified. I am sure the girls still wanted to have it out...but I was not about that.

Zombie: Thank you so much...a movie script...such a great compliiment.

Arkie: I am here to make you *giggle* sweetie!

Midwest: There were tons of rumors floating around my school the day after. One of my friends dated a boy from the other school. The police were never involved but the Firebird guy was in hot water w/his parents.

Erik: LOL nope this was almost...gees 22-23 years ago! Yikes! Yes I will teach my children how defensive driving. Heck they already yell at slow drivers in the fast lane!

carey: The Mustang survived or I would not be here to type this!! LOL I really could have used your snappy commentary while in the vehicle. My friends were in hysterics!

GK: LOL...I am very curteious now. If I am in the fast lane and someone is flying up, I move over. I let people in when they use turn signals and move when approaching off ramps. Common curtesy goes a long way. But yeah I would give me the bird too! *grins*

T: Man I was lucky...again...very scary night! That would have been a good move too!

Trevor: LOL I asked you if you needed a driver!!

Jason: I live to impress you boys!

Bricotrout: Thanks for stopping by! I will look for your story. Scott over there ------>inspired this!

HD: I told my mom most of the story. She knew something was up when I walked in the door with scratches on my face and the adreniline was flowing.

*giggles* away at HD!!

Ben O. said...

There really never is a good Mall parking garage when you need one.

Whatever happened to those things you could buy that would give your car a set of rayguns and some high-powered rear machine guns? A friend of mine had one that made a phazer sound everytime some retard would pull out in front of us.

Just zap'em baby!

Ben O.

http://everyothernamehasbeentaken.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Great story, Jen! You told it well. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

excellent read, jen. I want more of these.

btw, did you stick around (from a distance) to see what became of the firebird?

Squiggle said...

Lovely.

thephoenixnyc said...

"I want my two dollars"

Natalie said...

Awesome story Jen. I bet this incident catapulted you to high school legend...

Scott said...

Jen, keep writing ok? Don't worry about boring anyone. First, who cares if it is boring. Dare to be bad. I hate some of my posts, but I strive for a new one every day. Second, it won't be boring, perhaps there is a series of books in you about a female detective or race car driver. Explore, explore, explore!

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! ringtones nextel Callcenter zwickau 1991 honda civic dx hatchback cluch adjustment York county sc soup kitchens tattoo removal in idaho falls idaho honda shadow 1100 touch up paint Racing 928 porsche http://www.ativan-anxiety-medication.info/Free_acyclovir_and_pregnancy.html 1976 ferrari for sale

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » »