Thursday, August 11, 2005

Okay another Meme

I like this one, thought it was pretty funny and hacked it from some guy known as http://drunklaw.blogspot.com/

1. What's your favorite cheese? Colby Jack or Pepper Jack. Everyone needs a little spice.

2. Cheesy movie: If you were in Top Gun, what would your call sign be? Koko Butter

3. Big cheese: Tell us a boss story -- best boss, worst boss, a time when you were the boss, etc.

My first paralegal job was when I was 23. I was so nervous and was hired by the son of the attorney who owned the firm. Little did I know I would be working a lot more for his father and the other (whom I will call "Vince"). This man was 63 at the time I started working for him and was "old school". My second week on the job they sent me to get an important Motion filed in a divorce case. Said Motion had to be signed by the Judge prior to the filing. This all occurred at 4:20 p.m. on a Friday. HELLO...

So I am in the Judge's office with his secretary and he is getting ready to leave for the weekend. Imagine that, the judge was actually IN! He was not going to sign it. All that was going through my head was "shit shit shit". So I called "Vince" (the attorney who sent me on this foolish errand not "Old School") and explained what the Secretary had told me. "Vince" pulls his irate attorney act, which I had no clue at the time was an act, and wants to talk to the Secretary.

A little back story here. "Old School" and "Judge" go way back, "Old School" is a huge political supporter of "Judge" and Secretary has been with "Judge" for 30 years. Secretary knows "Vince" and he gets her to stamp my Motion.

Whew, I now have 20 minutes to get downstairs and get the motion filed with the Domestic Relations Court. HA! Murphy's Law was definitly playing havoc on my Friday afternoon. I cannot remember why the clerks would not take the Motion but they refused. I called "Vince", who proceeds into his tyrannicle attorney rant. All the while I am thinking "I am fired, I am done, my career is over!" Next thing I know Vince says we will pick you up met me at the back of the Courthouse.

So down I trot to face my destiny and sure firing. I get down to the street and see "Old School's" Mercedes being driven by son who hired me but no "Vince". Who steps out of the car but "Old School" himself. OH SHIT!!

"Old School" gets out of the Mercedes and says "lets go little girl" all rough and tough. Now I am totally bewildered and quite frankly, scared. It is now 4:55 p.m. and I am thinking what the hell is going to happen next. We arrive at correct floor, get off the elevator and see the doors to the Filing Office closed. What does "Old School" do...he bashes in the double doors and startes yelling "where is goddamn 'Head Admin', I want to talk to him NOW!" I jumped at least a foot in the air and I was trembling in my navy shoes just knowing I was dead meat after this all was said and done.

"Old School" bullies 'Head Admin', we get our Motion time stamped for 4:59 p.m. and as "Old School" and I are walking out of the Office and closing the doors behind us, he puts his arm around me and says "You did good little girl, ain't this fun?!!"

4. Say cheese: Are you a photobug? Are you photogenic? Or, in 1000 words or less, tell us about your best picture. Yikes...not sure if I have a best picture...lots of really bad ones. I like to take pics and my children are photogenic, but then again, whose child is not photgenic!!

5. Just cheesy: What's the worst pick-up line you've ever used, or had used on you? Did it work? I don't need to use pick-up lines, I have oobies!!

8 comments:

Trevor Record said...

Yes, the story was pretty good.

However, we can't be friends because you didn't put edam as your favorite cheese.

Scott said...

Wow, now that's getting things done by the skin of your teeth. Good story.

Jason said...

I don't believe it -- the one photo I saw was quite genic.

Bill said...

Great boss story... we all need one like that early on to open our eyes a bit!! :)

*You* probably don't need 'pick-up' lines... but folks everywhere love to hear what women *don't* want to hear from us guys... so what's the top ten "worst lines you've heard!" :)

Anonymous said...

GREAT story, Jen! Loved it! And this: "I don't need to use pick-up lines, I have oobies!!" is brilliant. I think you've got yourself a new OT tagline!

~ EmRb

jenbeauty said...

I have so many stories from my time at that office. I have another good one I may tell in the next few days.

Trevor: I think you will still be my friend, cheese or no cheese!

Jason: thank you...*blushes*

Bill: I am sure I have heard one or two of the standard ones. Quite frankly most of the men that would use those cheesy lines did not on me. I am rather well endowed, always have been. Some men think it is just ok to say something about or just stare at my chest. Its like they would just skip to the most disgusting stuff you could think of and forgo even trying to use common sense. I have gotten pretty good at deflecting the unwanted comments and putting some in their place! lol you have to laugh about it.

Emily: *giggles* so glad you are stopping by!

Beth said...

Oh bosses, I have a couple of those doozies. lol

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »