Wednesday, July 27, 2005

December 1992

Everyone I know has had self defining moments. I believe that those moments are not far and few between. We continuously redefine who we are or more to the point redefine ourselves within the context of our relationships.

Writing the little meme the other day triggered a memory of a defining moment. A moment in which I knew I wanted to marry my then boyfriend. We had been together for two years and only had talked of the future in passing knowing that we had plenty of time for planning. We were, afterall, just in our mid 20s.

My boyfriend and I were out on a cold December evening on a typical Friday night date. We went to dinner, a movie and then were headed back to my apartment for the night. I loved my apartment and neighborhood. Victorian Village and the campus of OSU merge together and are crowded with beautiful historical homes. We liked staying at my place on Fridays because Saturday morning walks in the park were a must. The downfall to living in this building was the parking. It was horrendous to find a spot near my building or under good lighting. This Friday night was no exception.

We were later than normal going back to my apartment and had to park a block from my building in an unlighted area. I, being the music lover that I am, insisted we sit in the car to finish listening to a favorite song, something from the 80's, more than likely a song by U2. As we sat there enjoying the moment someone knocked on the driver's window of the car. It took my boyfriend a brief moment to assess what was really happening. Instead of rolling down the window my boyfriend opened the door and stood up to his full height. Later he told me he thought is was a homeless person that needed cash.

As my boyfriend is standing there I am totally bewildered but am the first to realize what is about to happen. I cannot hear the conversation that my boyfriend is having with the unknown person, but I can see the gun that is pointed at his side. I believe it took me 30 seconds to process what I was seeing and knew that my boyfriend did not have a clue about the gun.

My boyfriend was just talking with this intruder as if it were a causal how are you. I finally pulled on my boyfriends jacket and said he has a gun. At that point my boyfriend calmly sits back in the car and asks the man what he wants. I was watching this with a mild detached feeling as though everything was going in slow motion even though my mind was running 60 mph. The man said he just wanted my boyfriend's wallet and he would be on his way. So my boyfriend pulls his wallet from his back pocket, opens it, pulls out $100.00, hands it to the man and then puts his wallet back in his pocket. I was a bit shocked and in awe that my boyfriend would think to do this.

In the next moment the man asks my boyfriend for the keys to the car. My 60 mph mind just came to a skretching halt. I can still remember screaming in my head NOOOOO you are not taking me, in this car, anywhere! My boyfriend and the man are civilly discussing why the man wants the keys and in my hysteria I decide that I am getting the hell out of the car, he can take it. The man reaches in takes the keys and says to my boyfriend "I am just putting them on top of the car so you won't follow me." Those words were not registering in my mind. All I could think of was to get out of the car and away from the gun. Huge mistake on my part. You see, the intruder had an accomplice as a lookout and when he saw me open the door the accomplice was at my side, with a gun pointed at my chest. My shaking increased ten fold but my boyfriend was calm and said "Jen just sit down and don't cry, just look at me." I did what my boyfriend said. While, unbelievable, the man who was robbing my boyfriend was cordial and to the point, his accomplice was not. He continued to poke me with the gun and demanded my jewerly. Shaking uncontrollably I was attempting to unclasp the bracelets from my arm. Dear boyfriend finally said don't give them the satisfaction and ripped the bracelets from my arm, kissed me on the cheek and handed them to the accomplice. In turn I did the same with my necklaces knowing that the broken jewerly would not get much in a pawn shop.

And then, it was over. Just like that, they ran, but not without taking my car keys off the roof. My boyfriend was furious but was amazingly calm. So calm and focused that he watched them by sitting in the car using all the rearview mirrors. He saw what car they got into and which direction they were heading. My sobbing did not detour him from his destiny to make the punks pay or at least go to jail. My boyfriend still had his keys in his pocket which held one of my extra car keys. We tailed those men until boyfriend could see the license plate number. We then headed straight for the police station in downtown. We did our duty, filled out all the paperwork, looked at mugshots and drank lots of coffee.

In the 30 minutes that all this occurred I realized that I could have lost him. I could have lost a future that was just sitting there waiting to happen. The gun that was pointed at me did not matter as much as that gun that was pointed at my boyfriend. My boyfriend was strong and calm. My boyfriend told me how much he loved me and said he would have died for me. Died for me....THAT was a redefining moment. Not many women can say they found their hero. I did and I married him.

18 comments:

arkie said...

Wow. Jen, this is beautiful. I'm sitting here reading this, and it touched me to the point of bringing tears to my eyes. Thank you for share such an important moment in your life.

HistoryDetective said...

Wow. I wondered about the stories behind #6 and #25 below; I just didn't realize that they were connected this way.

You know that I have hit a rough patch recently, but this story gives me hope about what the future holds. You are so lucky in so many ways.

Forgive me if this seems trite: Despite the fear of the moment, you gained a lot from this experience. You did indeed find your hero.

Glowie said...

Wow. Your husband is amazing. Thank you for sharing this story, Jen. *smooch*

Scott said...

Jen, Bravo, this is a nice memory piece, and powerful to boot. Well done, and well handled.

Scott said...

Oh, and the library just emailed me. Harry Potter awaits!

jenbeauty said...

Scott: YAY for Harry Potter! and

Thank you, you really have inspired me to maybe share a bit more of myself. I tend to be the light and fluffy kind of person. Everday real life can be such a bummer that I like to focus on fun things.

HD: You could never sound trite. That experience did do a lot for me and my hubby. The past several months I have been wondering which direction are marriage was headed. We have been doing things to improve that. Writing this story, re-telling it for my friends, helped me remember who I married. Thank god our connection is still there. I love him.

Arkie: I cried a little too. But sometimes it helps to remember the painful things. Thank you for commenting.

glowie: As I stated to HD I love him. He has loads of faults, as do I, but when it gets down to brass tacks, he is a good man.

Bravie said...

You got yourself a good man, JB.
I always enjoy your stories. Thank you.
*smooch*

Alice said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that Jen!

You got a good man there, and he has a good woman. :-)

Beth said...

Yes, I'd like to be in your husband's harem as well. What a man!

Oh, and I finished Harry Potter a few days ago. =)

jenbeauty said...

t: They never caught the guys. *sigh* I cannot imagine the lives of those 2 men.

carey: *smooch*

master: aww thank you so much, I take that as a compliment and it means a lot. I am sure you have moments that are touching and endearing.

alice: *smooches* hubby would be blushing if knew about all of this!

Trevor: not sure if hubby would agree with you about his *balls of steal* If you met him in person you would never think of him as a tough guy. That is not his persona, he is just calm and protective.

He would be flattered to have you in his harem too Trevor!

GK: lol...I believe he would be over the top to have a lady like you at his side!

YAY for the Harry Potter fans! I need to re-read it. I read it so quickly the first time I need to redigest some parts.

Buggy said...

Wow! Tahnks for sharing that. I was so scared reading it, cannot imagine what it was like to be there.
You really know someone when you see how they react in a stressful situation.
Cheers for your hero, what a good man!

Kim said...

Holy shit! What a story! I'm sure you have relived that night a thousand times and each one with a different outcome! Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Another Wow! Like Kim said, you must relive that over and over again. Just so hard to still think about, right? Really amazing. And, captivating. Thank you so much for sharing. So glad that you found the person that you did and married him! Yay!

Joe said...

What a great story, Jen. I admire the serenity with which your husband handled the situation and I can only hope that I'd do the same if ever faced with such a frightening event.

Bravie said...

It's time for you to update this place please.

MJ said...

What an amazing story! Thank you so much for sharing. I hope to find my hero one day!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a story. And a great way to remember it, too. It could have been something that made you shut down, and stay behind locked doors. Instead, it's become a focus point of why you love your husband so much. We should all be so lucky to have a strong memory to keep our love for our spouse fresh. But maybe not a memory with a gun pointed at us! ;-)

*smooch*

Foxy said...

wow- glad you made it out alive and found your future husband. :)